Since I’m new here I thought I’d do one of these posts so you can learn a little more about me. It’s supposed to be a ‘tag’ where someone nominates me to do it but I’ve taken it up of my own accord, however I will pass on the baton at the end.
So here goes…
25 ‘Get to Know Me’ Questions:
1. What is your middle name?: Roisin, (pronounced Row-sheen) it’s gaelic for Rose.
2. What was your favourite subject at school?: I loved Dance, Drama and Art, but also was really into Maths and Science.
3. What is your favourite drink?: I have a Green Tea addiction, it’s quite serious.
4. What is your favourite song at the moment?: I have been listening to my friend’s new album on repeat since she gave me a copy on vinyl the other day. The band is called Dark Moon and the new album is For Love and Fear. My favourite song on it is Honour because I was given the album on the day my new God Daughter was born who is named Honorer.
5. What is your favourite food?: I love big Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern style feasts with loads of generous salads, grilled veggies and fish, and delicious dips!
6. What is the last thing you bought?: A massive vitamin haul from Amazon
7. Favourite book of all time?: I’m a big reader but I stopped reading fiction when I went to Uni, it just seemed like a waste of reading time that could be spent learning. There is so much to learn and so many educational, scientific, self-help books on my never ending reading list! I don’t know how emotionally attached you can get to non-fiction, so I can’t single out a “favourite”… Thinking back to my novel days, probably The Celestine Prophecy series, I got SO hooked on those!
8. Favourite Colour?: My favourite colour is Yellow. I just love how happy it is, I love lemons and sunshine and daisies… it’s the best!
9. Do you have any pets?: I have a dog called Kahlo, named after the artist Frida Kahlo. She is half Pomeranian, quarter Lhasa Apso and quarter Bichon Frise. She is the cutest thing and is so funny and clever but she has really severe separation anxiety so she is quite a handful, I need to get a puppy-sitter if I want to do anything like go to the doctors.
10. Favourite Perfume?: I have recently stopped wearing perfume due to the health risks. There is a lot of research coming out saying that ‘fragrance is the new second hand smoke‘ and the air pollution it causes can be very damaging, especially if you have a sensitive immune system. Synthetic fragrances used in perfumes, air fresheners, laundry detergent etc contain harmful chemicals that can be terribly toxic. Instead I use natural oils which are not damaging, are far cheaper, and can be extremely beneficial if you know a little about aromatherapy.
11. Favourite Holiday?: I love anywhere warm and tranquil with beautiful nature to enjoy. I try to go to beautiful Montenegro every summer, I love the Adriatic coast. But my favourite holiday ever was to Tulum in Mexico, its a brilliantly eco and health-conscious area with the stunning Carribean Ocean, palm trees, mayan history and the beautiful Mexican culture and people.
12. Are you married?: I am in a happy 8 year relationship and we would like to get married at some point.
13. Have you ever been out of the country, if so how many times?: Err… yes! I find people who don’t leave their country VERY strange (unless they are extremely poor and cannot afford to travel). I think travel and exploring other cultures and landscapes is an integral part of the human experience. I travelled to far flung places from a young age because my maternal family are in New Zealand so from a baby I have been making long-haul trips and stopping off at exciting and exotic locations along the way. There are still many places I haven’t yet seen that are on the wish-list.
14. Do you speak any other language?: I have a very limited grasp of French which I try to pick up again every now and then. I would love to speak another language fluently and by far French is my best chance of reaching that goal. Unfortunately like so many others with English as ‘mother-tongue’ you can always get by without learning another language so you really have to go out of your way to learn.
15. How many siblings do you have?: I have two half-sisters with the same dad and different mums. One is very close to me in age, Poppy, and we have grown up as best friends. The other, Iris, is only 8 years old and young enough to be my daughter! They’re both mental and amazing and inspire me every day. Poppy is a ridiculously talented paper-cut artist and has just published a book, I’m so proud! Her book comes out at the start of September but you can pre-order it on Amazon now.
16. What is your favourite shop?: I love shops like Celestine Eleven where you can buy gorgeous clothes along side curated books and homewares plus yummy smellies and mystical treats. If you’re not London/Shoreditch local, Anthropologies could do the trick in a kind of yummy-mummy way.
17. Favourite restaurant?: My ultimate favourite restaurant is called Diawana and it is a tiny little Indian restaurant on Drummond Street near London’s Euston Station. They serve authentic Thali, Dosa and Bhel Poori on tin plates, it feels just like being in India. When it comes to big chains, I love Wahaca and Wagamama.
18. When was the last time you cried?: I cry all the time, I’m a very emotional person. But the last time I had a proper ugly cry with snot all over my face was about a week and a half ago. I was having a bit of an existential crises and feeling really alone. I lost both my parents in the last 5 years so I have occasional grief breakdowns. My friend Pandora serendipitously texted me seeing if I wanted to go to Hampstead Heath, that she would pick me up in the car and we could enjoy the sunshine with the dogs. I had to send her a video of my face saying “yes please!” because it was so funny how puffy and red I was with snot streaming down!
19. Favourite Blog?: I have been so inspired by my friend Ariane who is currently undergoing Chemotherapy for Hodgkins Lymphoma, she has been keeping a blog of her experiences and I think it is just brilliant! You don’t have to have cancer to find it a good read to follow. She is so open and candid and funny and honest, it seriously should be made into a TV show or something. Please check it out and share it: Lady Lymphoma
20. Favourite Movie?: Anything by Wes Anderson or Baz Luhrmann
21. Favourite TV shows?: I used to watch a lot of shite TV so when it was time to renew my licence I decided to get rid of the old moron-maker! When I need to veg-out I comfort-watch The Big Bang Theory online.
22. PC or Mac?: Mac
23. What phone do you have?: iPhone 6S Plus, I love its massive screen! People often laugh at how big it is but I can’t imagine going back to a little tamagotchi phone now!
24. How tall are you?: 5’4″
25. Can you cook?: Yes, I love to cook and am planning to do a few recipe posts on here. Just need to get myself together to take nice pics for them.
I hope you found that little insight into my life interesting, I nominate my friend Ariane of Lady Lymphoma to do it next!
Much love and wellness,